Student Awards Agency Scotland
If you are studying towards an HNC, HND or Degree course at West College Scotland, you may be entitled to apply for payment of your tuition fees through SAAS. You may also be able to apply for a student loan, bursary or supplementary grant.
It is important to complete your online funding application in good time to help ensure any entitlement is available to you as soon as you enrol on your course. If you leave your application until it is very late or do not complete it properly, you are likely to experience delays in receiving any funding entitlement. For session 2017/18, the final closing date for SAAS applications is 31st March 2018.
Here are some links you might find useful:
- Guide to SAAS Funding 2021-22 [PDF]
- Advice on funding through the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS)
- Video clip explaining the funding available
- Care Leavers and Care Experienced Bursary and Accommodation Grant
- First time applicants to the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS)Online application form for students who have applied to SAAS before
- EU Nationals
- Part Time Fee Grant
- Log in to your existing SAAS application
- Guide to other sources of funding
If you require information about the progress of your application, you should contact SAAS:
💡 Fill in the SAAS information form to enquire about your application
- Spouse or Partner
- EU nationals
- Disabled students
- Care Experienced: Looked After and Care Leavers
SAAS application workshops for continuing students
During April, May and June, our Student Advisors run workshops with inputs directly from SAAS on how to complete your application. These workshops take place on each campus and can be booked through a Student Advisor (based next to main reception in Clydebank, Greenock, Paisley and Waterfront campuses).
SAAS workshops last approximately 45 minutes and take place during the lunch hour.
Care Experienced Students Bursary and Accommodation Grant
If you are Care Experienced and entitled to funding through SAAS you may be entitled to claim the:
From 2017-2018, new and continuing care experienced students undertaking an eligible undergraduate course at HNC, HND or Degree level may be eligible to apply for a funding package of tuition fees and a non-income assessed Care Experienced Students Bursary. The amount available in 2017-2018 is £7,625.
This new bursary from SAAS replaces the current income-assessed living cost loan and bursary package. As such, if you apply for and meet the criteria to receive the Care Experienced Bursary, you will not be eligible to apply for a student loan.
Care Experienced students studying towards an HNC, HND or Degree may also be eligible for help with accommodation costs during the summer holidays that fall between each year of your course. The maximum is £105 a week during the summer holiday. This is paid by SAAS directly to the person that is providing you with the accommodation. You cannot claim the grant for the summer holiday before the start of the first year of your course of Higher Education or the summer holiday after you finish your course of Higher Education
What to do with your Payment Schedule Letter (Student Loans Company)
If you have applied for to the Students Loans Company through SAAS, bring your Payment Schedule Letter to Student Advisory Services to allow processing. A Student Advisor will take a copy of your Award Letter and return the original to you.
Student Advisors are based in:
- Clydebank campus – ground floor, next to the campus reception desk;
- Greenock campus – ground floor, next to elevators in the main foyer;
- Paisley campus – main entrance, next to the campus reception desk;
- Waterfront campus – ground floor, within the campus reception area.
If you are studying at a satellite campus, you can send a copy of your Payment Schedule Letter to email@example.com or bring it to a Student Advisor in Clydebank, Greenock, Paisley or Greenock Waterfront campus.
- You can give your Payment Schedule Letter or Award Notice Letter to a Student Advisor as soon as you receive it or take a clear photograph of the letter and email it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. This may save you time waiting in a queue at the start of term.
- If we have a copy of your Payment Schedule Letter or Award Notice Letter, we will instruct release of payment to your nominated bank account as soon as you are a fully enrolled student.
- Once payment has been released, it will normally take 3-5 working days to reach the nominated bank account.
Need help or more information?
For more information or advice and assistance with your application, please speak to a Student Advisor.