Enhanced support is available before, during and after your studies with the college to anyone who has served for at least one day in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces (regular or reserve) or Merchant Mariners who have seen duty on military operations, and applicants and students of an Armed Forces family. This includes access to a named contact who can advise and support whenever needed.
How do I let you know?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Armed Forces / Veteran Support’ at any time, either before or during your studies, or
- Tick the Armed Forces Veteran box on the Course Application Form, or
- Tick the Armed Forces Veteran box on the Course Enrolment Form
What kind of support can I get within the college?
- One-to-One support from your Named Contact whenever you need it;
- Faster access to services such careers advice, wellbeing, counselling and pastoral support;
- Advice about funding and grant opportunities (e.g. Forces Children Scotland);
- Access to peer-support networks through the Students’ Association;
- Support with accessing internal and external support services when required;
Forces Children Scotland
Forces Children Scotland help children and young people from serving, reservist and veteran families across Scotland grow in confidence, develop new skills and gain valuable experiences by co-producing impactful projects and services which focus on topics including mental health and wellbeing, education and learning and putting their unique experiences on the radar of civilian audiences.
We provide life-changing experiences to forge new friendships, through a sense of belonging, shared experience and solidarity. We will work directly with children and young people to amplify their unique experiences to help civilian friends as well as those whom support them or make important decisions about their future better understand what they’re going through and bring about big changes.
We listen and provide financial help in lots of different ways for children, young people and their families. We can support children and young people care for loved ones or a member of the local community or help them gain a qualification at college or university. We can also help by providing families with that little bit extra financial support to cover essential living costs and so much more.
Here are some of the services offered:
- University and College Fund
- Family Time Break Fund
- School Children’s Fund
- Young Carers Support
- Support in a Crisis [link broken]
- Family Support
- Youth Participation
- Mental Health